National Pet Parents Day is the last Sunday in April (April 28). There is a very special connection, a unique bond, between a pet and its owner.
Studies show pets give us unconditional love every day, and that love provides us with numerous health benefits, such as lowering blood pressure, alleviating depression and stress, improving our immune systems, and even reducing our risk of stroke and heart attack.
- Take a trip to the park: Your fuzzy friend will appreciate the time to frolic with their friends, and you’ll love that they will be able to run all their extra energy out!
- Homemade dog treats: Nothing says “I love you” like some home-baked goods! Homemade treats with healthy ingredients like pumpkin, tuna, carrots, or apples are typically healthier than store bought treats.
- Play games: Hide treats, toss a toy around, or use an interactive game that rewards them for solving the puzzle.
- Extra affection: Give your dog an extra belly rub or scratch your cat behind their ears more often.
- Take a walk: If your dog is active, take him on an extra long hike, for a swim, or for a run. Less active dogs may still enjoy a walk around the neighborhood.
- Go shopping: Take a trip to the pet store and let them help pick out a new toy!