Summer and sunscreen

Before you head out to the beach today, don’t forget your sunscreen. You want to keep yourself healthy and free of melanomas in the future.

Did you know a healthy sunscreen does more for just keeping you free of sun damage? By using the right kind of sunscreen you can help keeping our coral reefs healthy. Using reef safe sunscreen can help! Here is a cheat sheet on what to look for to determine if your sun screen is safe.

June is National Safety Month

Injuries are the leading cause of death for Americans ages 1 to 44. The good news is there are many things people can do to stay safe and prevent injuries. During National Safety Month, everyone is encouraged to learn more about important safety issues like preventing poisonings, transportation safety, and slips, trips, and falls.

Did you know that nine out of 10 poisonings happen right at home? You can be poisoned by many things, like cleaning products or another person’s medicine.

Other causes of injury in the home are slips, trips, and falls. More than one in four older adults fall each year often resulting in broken bones or head injuries.

Doing other activities while driving – like texting or eating – distracts you and increases your chance of crashing. Almost one in six crashes where someone is injured involves distracted driving.

How to reduce and treat toxic mold exposure in your everyday life

Without knowing it, hundreds of millions of people are exposed to toxic mold every single day by touch, breathing or ingestion—and they don’t even know it.

Mold is silent, shifting and threatens our well-being. It can grow behind walls, below floors and even makes a home in our food. What you might not realize is, mold can make you very sick and in some cases, even be deadly.

People often underestimate the crippling effects that mold has on our bodies. If the growth of mold isn’t managed, it can overload and break down your immune system. When someone is suffering from mold toxicity, they are often left confused and frustrated trying to figure out the root cause of their illness. Use this Helpful Home 5-Minute Mold Test to find out if your home is exposed to mold spores.

Some molds release poisonous, invisible chemicals known as mycotoxins that are difficult, but not impossible, to kill. These mycotoxins will make their home all around your environment, contaminating everything you own from furniture to your clothes. These biotoxins travel through the body distressing immunity, joints, the nervous system, and more. They change how you think, how you feel and even how long you live.

Apart from mycotoxins, molds also generate irritants and allergens that trigger reactions often related to a person’s sensitivities. For example, studies show that 25-28% of North Americans are genetically predisposed to have problems with water-damaged buildings. This spray can help to prevent and clean mold buildup in your home.

Long-term mold exposure symptoms

Chronic mold toxicity is repeatedly misdiagnosed because of its collection of symptoms that resemble other diseases and syndromes. It’s habitually mistaken for and pooled together as Lyme Disease, Celiac Disease, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and more.

Research shows that long exposure to mold toxicity can cause:

  1. Neurocognitive problems such as mood issues, brain fog, confusion, and memory loss
  2. Sleep issues and fatigue
  3. Auto-immune issues
  4. Pain such as headaches, inflammatory problems or joint pain
  5. GI problems, food sensitivities, and weight fluctuation
  6. Numbness and tingling
  7. Blurred vision or sensitivity to light

Mold and its hiding places

About 50% of the buildings in the United States have water damage, so there’s a good chance you have been exposed. Mold flourishes in damp, poorly ventilated areas. Sometimes it starts with a plumbing problem, a leak in your roof or the aftermath of a flood.  Anywhere you can find water, mold can unexpectedly develop—drywall, underneath carpeting, in wood and poor construction materials.

Check your HVAC system, as dirty HVAC systems collect dust and moisture, making them a perfect Petri dish for growing mold—even if you don’t have a leak.

Mold is known to multiply in damp, dark places, but of the toughest strains grow in dry, arid climates.

Besides finding molds in the environment, there are also molds in food. Foods that are higher in mycotoxins are grains, nuts, chocolate, coffee, and wine. If you are sensitive to mold in your surroundings, you’re more likely to be vulnerable to the mold or yeast in your food.

Molds are one part of the total environmental load put on your body.  On a daily basis, we’re exposed to pesticides, solvents, chemicals, various bacteria, and viruses. So many things can happen to our bodies when our environments aren’t optimal, making us weak.  If you are looking for high-performance, high energy, and high focus, eliminating toxic mold exposure is critical.

What to do about Toxic Mold exposure

The medical community is aware of many of mold’s effects and symptoms and mold research studies are growing—meaning, mold is getting more mainstream media coverage. If you suspect mold might be a problem for you, getting informed is the first step to tackling mold. The good news is that, once you remove the threat of mold, your body will likely respond with a recovery protocol and return to normal.

As mold awareness grows, so have the resources, check these out:

Test For Mold Exposure In Your Environment
The most widely used test is the ERMI (Environmental Relative Moldiness Index), initially developed by the EPA. Take samples from your office, home and wherever you spend time. Test your space before you do anything; disturbing mold spores can make the situation worse.

Work With A Professional Mold Remediation Expert
If your test comes back positive, work with a mold remediation professional to identify all of the sources of mold in your space and find where the humidity is trapped. You’ll also need to use a contractor grade drying system.  After repairing leaks, clearing air exchanges and mold removal, you’ll need to test once again to make sure all of the spores are absent before rebuilding or moving back in.

Support Your Body
Stay away from foods that feed or contain yeast, mold and fungus like refined and added sugars. You can add supplements that aid in the recovery and removal of toxins like Glutathione, activated charcoal and products that help you rebuild and restore your mitochondria.

Whether you’re experiencing minor to major immune responses, contact with toxic mold always comes at a biological cost. Our bodies respond to our surroundings and by eliminating those toxins, you can free up your biological resources to do something else in life.

Household Items can be Dangerous

You have probably read about the new “trend” on the Internet. Young adults (teenagers) actually ingesting Tide laundry pods on digital videos. The article below from FOX Business will give you some gruesome details. Solving this problem is about common sense in our teens.

While common sense and mentoring can solve this practice, there are other dangers that exist in our homes that we expose ourselves and our families to that are not as obvious. More importantly, we voluntarily take these risks in the name of cleanliness and convenience.

If I were to take you into a grocery or drug store where you buy many of your household cleaning products, in a blindfold, your nose would direct you to the aisle where the cleaning products were displayed. The chemicals in these products fill the air with scents…and TOXINS.

The other article from House Beautiful explains how some of the household items expose our families and homes to unknown dangers. In a world of “going green”, it is counter-intuitive to continue exposing our domestic environment to these unnecessary risks.

There is a reason why many traditional products are equipped with “child-proof” packaging and warnings that guard against manufacturer liability as much as consumer safety. Be aware of the chances you take every day. Breathing and exposing skin to these products presents the real possibility of risks to your health. Everything from skin cancer to respiratory or gastrointestinal infections are just some of the possibilities.

I learned of a manufacturer that I can actually purchase directly from for products I use every day WITHOUT all the toxins. I have been getting my products, like laundry detergent, from them for a while now. I absolutely love how well they work. I’ve learned that cleaning products do not have to have skull and bones and child-proof safety caps on them to be effective.  As adults, we can take all the safety precautions in the world and a child will still figure out how to access things they shouldn’t! We should not have to worry about making a trip to the hospital if that happens. And thanks to the manufacturer I purchase from, I don’t worry. 

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/01/22/utah-state-university-student-hospitalized-after-eating-tide-pod.html

http://www.housebeautiful.com/lifestyle/cleaning-tips/tips/a1492/dangerous-household-items/